Thanks for helping make our Webinar a success!

35 BY devrel

We wanted to send a quick note out and thank everyone who registered for and attended today’s Webinar on Developing Applications for webOS. We are thrilled so many of you wanted to attend, and O’Reilly has told us we are the largest Webinar put on by them to date.

For those who couldn’t see the webinar live, it was recorded and we will post information about how to view it here on PDNBlog as soon as it’s ready.

If you have questions about developing on the Palm webOS that weren’t answered during the webinar, please leave a comment here and ask them. We might not be able to answer every question right away (for instance, we know you’re going to ask “When?” and “How much?” and we can’t answer those questions yet) — but we will answer as many as we can, and keep track of the rest and answer them later.

Also, we’d love to hear what you thought about the webinar. Please post a comment here telling us what you thought liked about it, and tell us how we could make it better next time. Your participation helped make this a great event, and your feedback will help make future events better!

Thanks!

The webOS Development Team

Comments (35)

1. Brian says:

Wonderful event. I was dialed in and didn’t get to see the slides, and I look forward to that getting up somewhere.

So, questions:

1. Events: Is a “tap” event simply tunneled into a “click” event, or do we have new behaviors for finger interaction? Additionally, are keyboard events supported in the same fashion as a Webkit browser?

2. JavaScript Support: Will JavaScript function identically to a WebKit-powered browser? Additionally, Prototype seems to be the recommended JS library. Why was Prototype chosen over the more widely adopted jQuery? What’s the word on jQuery 1.3.1 compatibility? My understanding is that it should just _work_, correct?

3. CSS Support: Will we be seeing any extended CSS3 functionality, such as rounded corners or multi-column support? Will these properties have the -webkit- prefix? Has Palm extended their Webkit’s CSS3 features beyond what the browers offer?

4. New Web Technology: How often will webOS be updated with new web technologies? Safari, for example, supports CSS Canvas with the recent beta. We probably won’t see this in webOS on release, but does Palm plan to update frequently to give developers the best tools web standards have to offer?

Sorry for the long-winded post! Thanks for reaching out, guys.

2. Dan Rumney says:

I really enjoyed the presentation; glad to see that we were given some real code samples and not marketing fluff. Bravo!

I had a few questions which weren’t answered:

1) webOS introduces new attributes to standard HTML elements. Will you be providing a DTD to allow us to correclty validate our HTML?

2) Will the Pre support SVG? If so, will it be the full specification or just a subset?

3) Will an API *specification* be available any time soon so that we can read up on webOS before it becomes available?

Thanks,

Dan

3. Matt Wilson says:

The webinar was a bit hampered by WebEx. The resolution on the shared desktop was *way* too big. Presenters need to adjust their screens down to 1024×768 or smaller before sharing the desktop.

4. PaulProgrammer says:

When? How much? ;)

* Flash? Will audio sync work better than the flash plugin on Linux today?
    * Performance? Do you have any benchmarks that will help us to understand the capabilities or limitations of the underlying platform?
    * Documentation? What documentation will be available early? Are there lists of Pre-specific events that we can drool over?
    * SVG? To what extent will SVG be supported?
    * “Close-to-the-metal” programming? How can we develop apps that take advantage of hardware features — particularly important for gaming or hardware-accelerated eye candy?

5. GeraldS says:

The Webinar was awesome, too bad it wasn’t a bit longer.
    Two questions I had weren’t answered during the webinar, but they weren’t directly related to developing anyway.

First question: It was already mentioned that synergy will be pulling information from IM services like XMPP (jabber). Which IM services will be included by that? ICQ? MSN? YIM?

Secon question: Are there going to be some local sync services, like syncing the Pre via USB with an Exchange or Apple Mail/Addressbook? Or will over-the-air sync with online services be the only data source?

6. T-Rex says:

Unfortunately I didn’t hear any sound during webcast. It’s a pity. But anyway the video was good and I hope that you send the link to recorded webcast by e-mail.
    Also in this webcast you didn’t show say anything about server side.
    E.g. if we retrieve GPS coordinates by calling service with URI “palm://blah-blah-blah” then is it possible to create similar system-wide service which could be callable form other JS applications?

Thanks.

7. Alex says:

What a shame that here in Düsseldorf, Germany I only got 0,4kbps in the audio stream. But I’m looking forward to the recorded data.

• We understand about the audio problems. O’Reilly told us that it’s something that can happen and is out of everyone’s control. When we get the webcast online for viewing, the audio will be included and you should have no problems with it. We’re sorry about the glitches, but according to O’Reilly, they can happen, especially on large webcasts, and are out of anyone’s control to fix.

chuq

8. Alice says:

Again, thank you for hosting this event. I loved it. Questions…

1. I love jQuery. Please let us know if it’ll work.

2. I was hoping to get clarification on a passage in the first chapter of the book about uninstalling applications,

This includes removing it from the launcher and any local application data, plus any data added to the Palm application databases such as Contacts or Calendar data.”

Does this mean if an application aids in the creation of contacts and events that those items will be removed? This could hinder a couple app ideas including anyone looking at mobile CRM software.

3. Regular AJAX does not allow you to make calls for data from other sites. Will the framework all for access to remove servers? (I’m thinking access to cURL).

9. Evgeny says:

Hi guys, thanks for such a great presentation and congratulations on making the largest o’reilly webnar :) . It was good to see the actual development for webOS first hand. One question which I had and was left with no comment was: how will the certification of the apps work and will you allow distribution of apps via third parties?
    It would be great if webOS had some sort of certificate check when trying to install app and warn the user if it is not certified but still leave it up to the user to install it. This way you would have a sort of disclaimer that proceeding with non-certified apps is at users’ risk but at the same time allow in-house and experimental/beta development, test and distribution of the apps. This will also allow third parties to promote their apps directly.

Thanks in advance,
    Evgeny

10. FoxFireX says:

Thanks for the webcast, guys. Had a few questions that I’d entered but weren’t answered, so let’s see if you bite here. :)

* So far I see no need to, but will webOS support third-party replacements for core apps, such as the launcher or dialer?
    * Does the Pre contain a full GPSr, or does the GPS functionality rely on cell towers to determine location?
    * It looked like the HTML documents for the scenes/stages aren’t complete (valid) HTML documents. No html, head, body tags, etc. Is including the full tags not recommended, or does it even cause an error?
    * Since HotSync seems to be going away, is there a way to back up user data stored locally on the phone? Some applications may not have a real “cloud” home to store things, and if the user restores the phone, that data needs to be saved somewhere.

I think there were more, but can’t remember now. Looking forward to this!

11. Patrick says:

Hi,

Terrific webinar ! Congratulations. I just can’t wait to put my hands on the SDK. Now the questions:
    .Does Mojo provides a component model hierarchy ?
    .Does it support inheritance ? Can the built-in controls be extended ?
    .Is it possible to create custom control ?
    .Finally, is there any 2D API (something like canvas or svg) that allows to draw 2d primitives (circle, line) ?

Thanks, and again, great presentation !
    Patrick

12. Hi,

This was great, and a true good sign for the future in terms of Palmdevelopers relationship.

Once question – what localization support is built into the OS ? will there be built-in support for BiDi (RTL) languages such as Hebrew, Arabic ?

If not – would it be possible to develop it by us ?

Thanks !

13. Marco says:

I hope that a special offer will be available for developper to acquire the pre and the sdk as soon as possible. I think people are exciting to get started developping apps :-)

14. Aymeric Bernard says:

First, thank you very much for the Webcast, it was really useful for me … But I always have a few questions … administrative issues:

- Should we have a business (with an ID number) for selling applications on your Applications Store? Or will be freelancing is enough? I need to know if I should open a business now? Please give us as much information on the administrative side …

Technical Questions:

- The SDK (especially the emulator) will run on what OS? Mac? Windows? Linux?

Aymeric

15. thing2k says:

Great webinar, Audio was choppy so impatiently waiting for the recording to go live.

On a slightly related note:
    Who is responsible for the front page of developer.palm.com. As there are still links for registering for the WebCast.

Cheers
    thing2k

16. William says:

I don’t know why so many people are worried about the non-standard attributes you introduced and validating their code. I love standards as much as the next guy, but the point of them is not to say “my code is standards compliant” but to, in a perfect world, ensure that your code works as you’d expect it to on all platforms, and to ensure that all code is easily understood by all developers (because everyone learns the same tags/attributes/etc). Here, you’re developing for one platform. Validation doesn’t matter. If your code works, then you’re good.

As for the seminar, while I found it painfull to listen to (the sound was super chopy for me too), I also found it very informative and just what I needed to stay excited about developing for webOS. You guys (and gals) did a great job on the preso and congratulations on the turnout! I will, however, be watching it again when the recording comes out so I can actually know WTF you were saying :)

17. Hideme Please says:

Will the (HTML/Javascript/noncompiledwhatever) source code for all client-side applications be available for any device owner to see?

18. jan says:

I have some questions that were not answered:
    - can the palm pre launch button (the only button on the front!) be overridden for games?
    - how about generating MIDI from javascript? Browsers aren’t really good at sounds. If you expect developers to make games for your platform in html/javascript, you’ll need to add some access to things like this.
    - (since your browser is webkit based I assume I don’t have to mention SVG and canvas ;-)

19. soazz says:

Great webcast, really excited about developing for WebOS. Any news on when more material will be available at O’Reilly Rough cuts?

20. Ajai Khattri says:

I hope the presentation slides are made available somewhere too. My only problem with the webcast is the insanely high screen resolution on the Mac used in the demo. A lower resolution would have saved bandwidth and scrolling by people who dont have the latest and greatest. I also downloaded the presentation video and found the text mostly unreadable (shame Mitch didn’t use OS X’s screen zoom feature to highlight the code clearly.

21. Jeff says:

Sorry, I didn’t get a chance to watch the webcast (our network at work is slow enough it wasn’t even worth trying) so I apologize if this was covered.

I’m wondering, however, which OS services will be accessible from the API, specifically, will applications be able to modify settings such as the call-alert(ringtone) profiles? (I’d hope there’s some signing/user permission implemented on this)

22. Pingback: Webcast: Palm’s CTO details developing for webOS » VentureBeat

23. Regis St-Gelais says:

OT: how many attended the web cast. 10.O’Reilly says it was a record but they don’t say the number.

24. Bill MacAdam says:

My company has been involved in PalmOS development for many years. While we are very excited about using webOS, we are concerned about the transistion and I have two questions related to it. Has any consideration given to some sort of emulation mode? We have large applications that cannot be converted overnight and our user base will not understand the situation. In fact I’m confident that many of them will still refer to the Pre as a “Palm Pilot”.

Do you have a goal for releasing the SDK in relation with the release of the actual device? In other words will the SDK arrive in developers’ hands before, during, or after the release of the Pre?

25. jman says:

How will data be shared between applications in webOS? For example, I create a document in one app and I want email it using another app. I asked this during the webcast, but it didn’t get answered.

26. Sanj says:

Seeing that fluid UI drives most of the demand for entertainment apps, how will this be supported by Mojo? For example, how will 2D and 3D UIs be programmed for games and media apps? Will there be an equivalent for flash & silverlight for this purpose?

27. JohnH says:

For post-processing a photo, such as to extract a bar code or red-eye elimination, will the JavaScript code be capable to do that work with reasonable efficiency? What about implementing DRM for things like ebooks? I suspect that several applications like this are going to need native access to the CPU.

Also, for the wireless interface, a recent study described in an IEEE magazine reported that transmitting something over the air was one of the most power-hungry things that could be done. Compressing data before sending it used more CPU, but the power consumed by the CPU was less than the power consumed by having to keep the radio transmitting longer. I hope that the network APIs have been tuned to be minimally chatty. Protocols designed for modern internet speeds can drain the battery quickly if there is a lot of conversational traffic, rather than batching.