We are excited to announce the availability of Palm’s open source portal at http://opensource.palm.com. We’re using Linux and various other open source software in webOS to allow us to accelerate innovation through collaboration with the global community of open source developers.
The benefits of teaming with the open source community come with the important responsibility of ensuring compliance with applicable open source license obligations. For that, we have established a compliance program including:
- Enforcing open source compliance policy, processes and license obligations;
- Establishing an internal team to oversee open source compliance;
- Using a range of commercial and Palm-developed tools to help with the compliance activities including a compliance project management tool, an open source software inventory tool, a code scanning tool, a linkage analysis tool; and
- Establishing open source internal training to continue to raise awareness and reinforce open source compliance within Palm.
For details about the compliance practices, we will be publishing an article to cover this topic in detail. We will announce when the article is available in this blog and make a copy available for download as well.
From http://opensource.palm.com, you can:
- Learn how to contact the open source team
- Download the various open source components we are making available along with our modifications
- Download a copy of the latest open source license file that includes a listing of open source software used, along with their respective licenses and notices.
Stay tuned as we add functionalities to our open source web site to reflect the progress in our open source activities.
Palm Open Source Team