Peter Vesterbacka has the coolest title right now. He is “Mighty Eagle” of Rovio, the gaming company behind the mega-hit Angry Birds (which has topped the App Store for what feels like an eternity even though it is a matter of months!). The game has burst onto webOS this week, and we had the pleasure of sitting down with Peter for a special Palm Developer Podcast chat about both the experience of having a run away hit, and the experience of bringing it to the webOS platform.
You can probably see how much Ben and I actually enjoy the game ourselves as we talk about it with Peter. The soundtrack lingers in my head even as I write this post
If you watch and listen to the podcast you will learn:
- What Angry Birds is, and the history behind the title (green pigs? why!)
- How Rovio is a very experienced gaming company
- The secrets behind the gameplay, and lessons for game developers out there in this regard
- Thoughts on why the game has been a success, and where they will be taking it from here
- How they reached out to the webOS community, and how the community responded in force
- How shocking simple it was to actually port the game to webOS
Fancy writing some games for webOS? Already have something that you would like to port? Check out the PDK to get your share of the $1 million Palm PDK Hot Apps program.
The views expressed on the podcast are not necessarily those of Hewlett-Packard Company, its affiliates or subsidiaries.